duplicate KDE desktop icons

I posted this 2 places at the KDE forums and got nothing

why do I get 2 desktop icons for my firewire harddrive ? Memory sticks plugged in only result in 1 being displayed .
KDE 3.5 on Fedora C 5

this happens on 2 different machines . A 7 year old P2 and a 1 month old Core 2 Duo . 2 'LaCie' external firewire drives and 1 no-name external usb drive do this
begin:vcard
tel;work:843-218-6521
version:2.1
end:vcard