Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Rick Stuart stuart.cr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 22:54:09 UTC 2007

Valent Turkovic wrote:

 >> But please, please make it a lot easier on non-geek people so that
 >> they can also use this great stuff called fedora. And belive me there
 >> are people wanting to do so, but they can't because we don't let them.
 >> They need some features to be enabled by default or else they won't
 >> know how that they even exist.

I feel like the real concern voiced by Valent Turkovic has been missed
by all three of the responses I saw.  What are we expecting the average
Joe who wants to try out this cool new thing called Linux to feel?  He
can load it up and see a pretty twisty graphic but then can't get the
simplest thing like web browsing to work without installing a lot of
extra packages that are only obvious by a long Google search, abuse on
the forums (RTFM) or a previous experience.

If you are going to build a live CD (Excellent Idea by the way) for
people to try out Linux, then concentrate on the total experience.  Look
at what "typical" users do and make sure they have success.  Valent hit
the nail on the head....KDE...GNOME....why should that matter?  GNOME
doesn't work any better with Totem BTW.

--
Rick Stuart
stuart.cr at gmail.com

  "Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy."