Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 18 17:47:43 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:

  However, I don't think that Fedora should be used to
> introduce people to Linux (reasons given in previous email), and
> that's a very likely scenario for a LiveCD. That is a situation that
> must be considered.

We are not going to prevent people from using Fedora Live images to
introduce Linux to people. I think that's a valid use case. There are
certainly some usability gaps which we need to solve (while not moving
away from the goal of not including proprietary software by default)
There are several other use cases for a live cd which others have
explained in detail. What are expecting us to do precisely?

I believe that Live CD's are in general a useful thing for Fedora to
have and that is something that is very much enforced by the positive
feedback that we got from the release of Fedora Core 6 Live CD.

Fedora 7 will have a x86 GNOME Live CD, x86-64 GNOME Live DVD and a x86
KDE Live CD all of which are installable. The tools to produce different
variants are part of the Fedora repository now and uses simple kickstart
configuration files. I think all of that is of immense value to end
users and system administrators.

Rahul