Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 16:29:25 UTC 2007

On 19/04/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On 18/04/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > [K]ubuntu had always had the goal of being simple for new users, a
> > goal that I understand is not on Fedora's priority agenda.
>
> Your understanding is wrong. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives

Nowhere in that document is it even implied that Fedora should be
simple for new users. The closest that I found was this:
"To emphasize usability and a "just works" philosophy in default
configurations and feature designs."
CodecBuddy will help in that respect.

> and http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Usability.

Nor here. The closest was this text at the top:
"The Fedora Usability SIG (Special Interest Group) aims to provide
coherence, accessibility and intuitivity for all people using Fedora
and its associated resources. Fedora should provide a simple and
coherent interface. Improving Fedora end-users experience is our job."
However, again no specific mention of new users.

> >> Sure it is for many people. Just visit some popular Linux related
> >> websites and read the news or comments.
> >
> > Doesn't seem so, but games certainly do.
>
> Then you are having tunnel vision. At any rate if you don't have
> anything to contribute towards desktop development this is the wrong
> forum for expressing your opinions.

I'm certain that you are more up to speed in what users want than I
am: that's not my profession. But of all the arguments I've heard from
users who want to try something other than Windows, I've never
(never!) been told that they are looking for more eye candy or that
they are unsatisfied with the look of Windows XP (or 98 in two cases).

I again state that I am not expressing my own opinions. My opinions do
not matter: I know to configure KDE exactly how I want it, and I know
how to install the programs and libraries that I need. Partly in
thanks to you, Rahul, and to the rest of the Fedora community.
However, I am constantly discussing what people like and dislike about
their computers (I don't say 'operating system': many users don't know
the difference). I talk to my mother in law, the librarians, people on
the bus, friends, family, other students, children that I tutor in
math, my professors, the university and faculty staff, even the armed
security guards. I'm rather interested in the subject and I dare say
that I know what I'm talking about. I ask questions, I don't say words
such as "Linux", "Windows", "operating system", "Internet Explorer",
"Firefox", and the like. I know why most people would use Firefox
instead of IE, and why those same people would use Windows over
Fedora, without ever mentioning the products names. When I insist on
something on the subject, it's not because I want to see my favorite
configuration become the default one.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/internet.html
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/416/queen.html