f8 desktop livecd

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 19:03:25 UTC 2007

> On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:43:13 -0400
> Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Ok.  Here's my suggestion.  We call this "Fedora Personal Laptop".
> > Skip the word "Desktop" because it means too many different things.
> >
> > Personal Laptop is defined as targeting roughly the same base set of
> > functionality that one might expect to find after purchasing a
> > mainstream consumer laptop from Dell, Apple, HP, etc.
> >
> > It is very explicitly *NOT* defined as a "Linux distribution" or
> > "Fedora", because the first definition is and always has been
> > meaningless, and the second is just vacuous/self-referential.
> >
> > Does this mean Personal Laptop is actually defined as chasing the tail
> > of competitors?  Yes, it does.  Is there something wrong with that?
> > Well, it's a lot better than just shipping a gigantic DVD or a
> > mishmash of whatever random package developers thought needs to be in
> > "Fedora".
>
> I would love to see something like this, even by Test2 if possible.
> I'd even be willing to make our 'default' Live image we ship this,
> instead of a Live version of the "Fedora" spin (whatever the heck
> that's supposed to mean).

[walters at neutron livecd]$ git status
# On branch master
# Changes to be committed:
#   (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)
#
#       renamed:    config/livecd-fedora-desktop.ks -> config/livecd-fedora-personal.ks
#

For now, in here:
http://submind.verbum.org/~walters/livecd.git/

I haven't looked whether the package set is sane for fedora-personal.ks.
I did verify it boots.  Basically I just did some infrastructure work so
that I could create an online-desktop livecd without creating yet
another fork of a big kickstart file.

It's a start!

An immediate interesting task for the fedora-personal.ks would be seeing
how hard it would be to fit say OpenOffice, now that we know we can drop
things like sendmail, etc.