low-hanging fruit

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 16:06:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 07:58 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 14:00 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > David Zeuthen wrote:
> >
> > > combined with the PackageKit work Richard is doing
> > >
> > >  http://hughsient.livejournal.com/32948.html
> >
> > Going on a tangent, what's the plan with PackageKit in Fedora? How does
> > it interact with Pirut and friends?
>
> Given what I've read it doesn't. It's an entirely parallel structure to
> do installations/updates of packages. And given the feature set that
> Richard seems to want it will do these things mostly passwordless.
>
> I think the assumption that PackageKit should be in fedora is a bad one
> at the present time. It's got a long way to go and honestly, given the
> features it wants to support might be a problem for inclusion at all.

A couple of things

 - AFAIK there's plenty of UI package management tools besides pirut
   in the FPC and that's fine. Diversity, all that stuff.

 - When you say "should be fedora" [sic] do you mean "PackageKit should
   not be in Fedora Package Collection or "default in mainline Fedora"?
   I believe it's the latter thought I can't tell cuz you're being
   ambiguous. Please avoid doing that, thanks.

 - Note that "default in mainline Fedora" doesn't preclude the desktop
   spin from using PackageKit instead of Pirut.

   If you think about it, that's kinda of the _point_ of the desktop
   spin; to change the defaults from mainline Fedora to optimize the
   experience for a narrow set of people.

 - No-one says that PackageKit is ready for inclusion at all, all
   people, like me, say is that it's looking promising in terms
   of dealing with things that other projects, like Pirut, just choose
   to regard as non-issues / ignore.

    David