low-hanging fruit

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 23:44:43 UTC 2007

On 8/25/07, Rui Tiago Cação Matos <tiagomatos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Qua, 2007-08-15 at 15:56 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > As discussed in the meeting, here is my personal
> > "laundry list" of low-hanging fruit. Note that some of
> > these are being worked on for F8 anyway.
>
> [snip sensible list of low-hanging fruit]
>
> I'd like to add another one:
>
> * get rid of the forced filesystem check every 26th mount.

I agree.  This is especially painful on machines with filesystems
large filesystems.  For a desktop spin it would probably be better
to do this in user-space.  Remind the user every so many days
that they should schedule a disk check on next reboot, then give
them an okay or remind me later button.

Of course that is the "old busted" method.  The new hotness
will be when we can switch user-space to run off a temporary
snapshot and check the filesystem with the system running.
Always something to look forward to.

Jon