Idea: easier transition for newcomers from other DEs/OSes

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Sun Aug 26 12:12:06 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 14:03 +0200, dragoran wrote:
> Martin Sourada wrote:
> >
> > Actually I think that pirut is far better and easier than just some
> > setup.exe. Besides, you can download a rpm and double-click on it in
> > nautilus, if you don't like pirut itself. Nevertheless, I think it's
> > much more easier to just open applications list, check some apps you
> > want to install/remove and apply the changes. What can be easier? In
> > windows you are nearly unable to (un)install more than one app in one
> > go. The only problems here are that linux apps are not so good known as
> > their windows variants - that's one of the reasons why the group view is
> > cool thing - some of the applications isn't in our repos - but thanks to
> > community the number is lesser and lesser every now and then.
> >

> +1
> > I just thought about setting some basic things, like panel layout,
> > keyboard shortcuts and like - no app changes - with one ore two
> > clicks...
> >
> well I installed fedora on some peoples boxes that where (and are still)
> using windows and nobody complained about things like the panel layout.
> what keyboard shortcuts? the only thing thats different in the default
> config is that the super(windows) key does not open the menu.
> but everything else is the same as in windows:
> ctrl+c/x/v
> alt+f4
> alt+tab
> etc.

Some does and some does not. I always hear KDE people whining about two
panel layout in GNOME, while I cannot imagine having only one panel. I
think it is much the same with Windows and Mac people, though not to
such extent. If the shortcuts were same, KDE would not have a utility
for setting them according to user wishes. But yeah, most of them are
same (like the copy/paste you mentioned, but I like the select and paste
with middle mouse button more), but not ALL. That's the point here. E.g.
in gnome when you hit ctrl-alt-del, system monitor does not pop up ;-)