f8 desktop livecd

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 00:13:35 UTC 2007

> Colin Walters wrote:
>

> > Right, though ideally this isn't a big formal project, just a place
> > where we can tweak some defaults or the like.  I think a lot depends on
> > how much time is spent on it, but agreed that at this point it seems
> > clear that we need to differentiate things better on the website at a
> > minimum.  Not sure what that text should say yet though...
>
> When we say the Live images are desktop focused, what do we mean by
> that? Configuration changes like network manager by default, subset of
> Fedora that is good for desktop usage or something else?

Ok.  In this discussion, one thing I'd like to keep in mind is that the
technical fact that it's a "Live CD" or "Live Media" is not the
interesting part.   What is interesting is that it makes some attempt at
choosing a target audience and defaults+tweaks for that target[1].

Maybe this means it's a spin.  As Fedora seems to be going in the
direction of making it easy for people to derive from Fedora, we could
start to think in those terms.

Setting aside what to call it - I think the goal is to make a
downloadable image that can be used as a start for:

1) Personal laptop internet terminal
2) Web developer workstation
3) Locked-down/managed lab terminal

Now, I think that 2) is basically a larger set of packages (wireshark,
eclipse, icedtea, ruby, etc.) on top of 1).  We should make it extremely
easy to turn 1) into 2), because honestly I think that's where a lot of
Fedora market share currently lies.
3) is interesting but those people can use the tools to make exactly
what they want.

Even 1) is pretty vague, but it's at least an attempt at something.  It
gives us at least a guideline for figuring out what to include.  For
example, it makes it pretty obvious that packages like autofs and
wireshark shouldn't be in the default package set.

[1] Unlike the DVD, which is a massive collection of software with lots
of duplicated/unnecessary functionality that makes you choose
mid-install (when you've already downloaded all of it) what to copy to
your drive.