f8 desktop livecd

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 1 19:09:03 UTC 2007

Colin Walters wrote:

> Maybe this means it's a spin.  As Fedora seems to be going in the
> direction of making it easy for people to derive from Fedora, we could
> start to think in those terms.

Right, the Fedora KDE live images are the Fedora KDE spin and it is
messaged as such. Since we do multilib the x86_64 images happen to be
more than CD size which I think we should avoid but that's another topic.

> Setting aside what to call it - I think the goal is to make a
> downloadable image that can be used as a start for:
>
> 1) Personal laptop internet terminal
> 2) Web developer workstation
> 3) Locked-down/managed lab terminal
>
> Now, I think that 2) is basically a larger set of packages (wireshark,
> eclipse, icedtea, ruby, etc.) on top of 1).  We should make it extremely
> easy to turn 1) into 2), because honestly I think that's where a lot of
> Fedora market share currently lies.
> 3) is interesting but those people can use the tools to make exactly
> what they want.

I think 1) is provided by the Fedora live images or alteast close to it.
There has been some discussions from people who have installed from the
live images but want the same setup as the default selection in the DVD
and by that they probably want to do 2).

I am not sure how we are going to do 3) well.  There is Sabayon and
Pessulus in GNOME and Kiosk in KDE but they don't talk to each other and
  isn't really system wide.  Some folks have been asking for similar
software that they can use on internet cafe's. Atleast here some cafe's
are migrating to Linux/Fedora because Microsoft has started enforcing
their licensing and some businesses simple cannot afford the cost. That
is a sort of a niche market that is growing.

Rahul