livecd hacking

Sebastian Vahl ml at deadbabylon.de
Thu Aug 2 10:14:53 UTC 2007

Am Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:19:09 -0400
schrieb Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com>:

> I've done some work on the Live CD kickstart images, available here:
>
> http://submind.verbum.org/~walters/livecd.git/
>
> (Until Jeremy returns from vacation and can review patches to be put
> in the main livecd git repository)
>
> The most important change so far is to create
> "livecd-desktop-minimal.ks" which is then used as a basis for:
>
> livecd-fedora-desktop.ks
> livecd-fedora-kde.ks
> livecd-online-desktop.ks
>
> Rather than each thing duplicating a lot of code for the livecd init
> script, etc.
>
> The online-desktop is just a stub right now while I fix up some
> issues, but I've booted the livecd-fedora-desktop successfully
> (livecd-desktop-minimal.ks also boots...into twm!  Retro.).
>
> Admittedly I haven't tested the KDE one, but moving forward this
> unforking should help us to identify changes common between them which
> seem like good candidates for comps or Fedora package changes.
>
> Sebastian, since you were the last person to touch the KDE bits, could
> you have a look at these changes?

livecd-fedora-kde.ks is working but installs too much more packages
than the old config (and also some unwanted, eg. gnome-games). This is
related to livecd-desktop-minimal.ks which includes more groups than
the kde config. If the kde livecd should also use this config some
groups should be removed. The size with livecd-desktop-minimal.ks is
here (i386) 770 megs to 687 megs with the normal config.

And some small note: I've had to run livecd-creator from inside the
config directory so that it could find livecd-desktop-minimal.ks.

Sebastian