f8 desktop livecd

Caolan McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 12:33:28 UTC 2007

> On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 08:38:45 +0100
> Caolan McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Just looked at the ubuntu livecd recently, has OOo on it and the gimp,
> > the ubuntu gimp doesn't ask anything during first install. So it might
> > be neat for the livecd/personal cd to include
> > pre-canned .gimp-2.2/.openoffice.org2 config directories for the
> > livecd ~/home to avoid the very first-start up time hit/config
> > questions for the livecds
>
> As stated elsewhere, having all languages as a goal and having OO.org
> as a goal are in direct conflict.  oo.org+translations is over 700 megs
> itself.

Seems unfortunate that we can't use the livecd for e.g. emergency use
for playing impress presentations because the total size for its
translations would be too large.

Blocking on "all OOo translations won't fit, so we must only pick apps
whose complete translations fit" seems a little like cheating though.
i.e. Abiword seems to have its help translated to just English, French
and German, while Gnumeric seems to have just English(?) help and approx
15+ less translations than OOo.

Sure, if the non-translated bits are fundamentally overscale to fit on
cd vs the other options, or its too slow to run from CD, or we hate it
too much to want it, then that's fine. But if the reason boiled down to
solely having all languages supported on the cd as a goal and apps are
then picked that have less translation coverage due to space reasons
then that strikes me as a bit of a fudge.

C.