f8 desktop livecd

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 13:36:34 UTC 2007

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 13:33:28 +0100
Caolan McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> wrote:

> Sure, if the non-translated bits are fundamentally overscale to fit on
> cd vs the other options, or its too slow to run from CD, or we hate it
> too much to want it, then that's fine. But if the reason boiled down
> to solely having all languages supported on the cd as a goal and apps
> are then picked that have less translation coverage due to space
> reasons then that strikes me as a bit of a fudge.

I don't disagree.  However it's a lot easier to say "we don't support
your language because there was no translation for it upstream" than to
say "we don't support your language because we didn't think it was
important enough to include on the media.  Sorry.".

Still, some thought could be put around having regional editions of the
live image that include a set of the languages for that region or some
other ideas such as that.  It just takes somebody playing around with
it (:  The good news is that the tools are relatively easy so that
those playing at home can try things out instead of waiting for
something to fall out of the Red Hat black box.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora