f8 desktop livecd

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 18:03:04 UTC 2007

(Lalala... back from vacation, lots of mail.)

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 20:13 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 13:48 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Colin Walters wrote:
> > > Right, though ideally this isn't a big formal project, just a place
> > > where we can tweak some defaults or the like.  I think a lot depends on
> > > how much time is spent on it, but agreed that at this point it seems
> > > clear that we need to differentiate things better on the website at a
> > > minimum.  Not sure what that text should say yet though...
> >
> > When we say the Live images are desktop focused, what do we mean by
> > that? Configuration changes like network manager by default, subset of
> > Fedora that is good for desktop usage or something else?
>
> Ok.  In this discussion, one thing I'd like to keep in mind is that the
> technical fact that it's a "Live CD" or "Live Media" is not the
> interesting part.   What is interesting is that it makes some attempt at
> choosing a target audience and defaults+tweaks for that target[1].

Exactly.  And it's even less interesting to focus on it being a live CD
as we're working towards having common formats being used to describe
all of live images, a "tree spin", and even "installing from the
everything tree".

That said, I think we're likely to want to target a live CD as the
primary deployment/distribution vehicle.

Jeremy