Tracker by default in Fedora 8?

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 21:58:13 UTC 2007

> Hi
>
> While Tracker has always been faster than Beagle and without the memory
> leaks, previous versions were lacking in features. Tracker 0.6
> (http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/8837.html) has a number of improvements
> making it more or less reached feature parity with Beagle which we
> dropped out by default in Fedora 7. Tracker is also going to be the
> default in the next version of Ubuntu.
>
> What do folks think about installing and enabling Tracker by default in
> Fedora 8?

Personally - I'm a bit skeptical of Tracker actually being better than
Beagle.  I don't have anything substantial, but my instinct on this is
that writing a desktop search engine is actually really hard - not
barfing on bad files (inherent tension with supporting lots of file
types), figuring out all the touchy details of when to do the
indexing[1], etc., and that unlike Beagle, Tracker actually hasn't seen
wide deployment so it hasn't yet been truly tested.

[1] screensaver integration, am I playing a performance-hungry game, did
I just create a new file I might want to find, etc.