Tracker by default in Fedora 8?

dragoran drago01 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 22:12:51 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> While Tracker has always been faster than Beagle and without the memory
> leaks, previous versions were lacking in features. Tracker 0.6
> (http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/8837.html) has a number of improvements
> making it more or less reached feature parity with Beagle which we
> dropped out by default in Fedora 7. Tracker is also going to be the
> default in the next version of Ubuntu.
>
> What do folks think about installing and enabling Tracker by default in
> Fedora 8?

 why do you think is tracker better than beagle?
its true that it uses less memory but I doubt its any different about i/o
and cpu usage.
and does it stop indexing when running on battery? beagle does this.
also with the cfs scheduler the impact on the system due to high cpu usage
should be less.
the only remaining part is i/o and I open a thread on lkml about allowing
non root user to set the i/o prio to
idle. beagle already tryes to do this but fails because it don't have the
permission to do so. Removing the check
from the kernel is easy but there is a discussion on what idle task can to
to the system and if its safe to allow it for non root users.
if the kernel gets this change I would opt for re enabling beagle and see
what it does.