Tracker by default in Fedora 8?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 7 22:50:41 UTC 2007

Colin Walters wrote:

> Personally - I'm a bit skeptical of Tracker actually being better than
> Beagle.  I don't have anything substantial, but my instinct on this is
> that writing a desktop search engine is actually really hard - not
> barfing on bad files (inherent tension with supporting lots of file
> types), figuring out all the touchy details of when to do the
> indexing[1], etc., and that unlike Beagle, Tracker actually hasn't seen
> wide deployment so it hasn't yet been truly tested.

If testing is the only major issue,  it is already in the devel branch
of Ubuntu by default so it should get some good testing there and we can
just enable it in rawhide - wait and watch the results and decide before
the general release of Fedora 8.

Beagle doesn't seem to be actively maintained in Fedora, not installed
by default anymore and we don't seem to have enough mono expertise. Not
having these saves a good amount of space in the live images too. If you
still consider Beagle as the better choice, let's enable it back in
rawhide by default then.

Either way, desktop search is a good thing to have by default.

Rahul