low-hanging fruit

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Fri Aug 17 00:41:39 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 18:22 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
>  > > I just build everything in (except the bits I'm hacking on); makes it
>  > > much faster to compile too. To each their own I guess.
>  >
>  > Ugh, replying to myself again. s/everything/everything I need for the
>  > particular box I'm using/.
>
> I don't get it.   What does destination of built binaries have to
> do with compile time ?

I was just clarifying what I meant with "I just build everything in" to
explain that by doing what I do, I gain the ability to a) boot the
kernel image directly from my home directory (w/o initramfs); and b)
it's much faster to compile since I don't have to build lots of drivers
I don't need; and c) I can have a static grub entry pointing into my
home directory. FWIW, I'm not the only one who does this.

     David