low-hanging fruit

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Aug 17 09:37:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 17:36 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 17:27 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 10:17 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> > > As a side point, everybody should be using LVM. Directly operating on
> > > partitions is so 1980.
> >
> > Speaking as a developer, you can boot a kernel from your home directory
>                               ^^^^
> I meant can't of course. Sorry.
>
> > if /home is on LVM. Hence, LVM is definitely something to avoid for more
> > developer oriented flavors on Fedora.

Speaking as a developer as well, I don't think the use case you describe
is as widespread as you think it is.

Compare your "David" persona to my "Manolo" one who just wants to build
another kernel with some unnamed patch that won't ever make it upstream
(or into Fedora) and needs another half gig of space quickly but
his /home is filled up to only 150 megs being free due to all the movies
he recorded with his DVB card. Now with LVM, "Manolo" can do:

lv_extend -L +1G /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
resize2fs -p /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01

After about a minute -- if you count in time to read man pages, perhaps
less if there's a tool that let's him tdo that in a GUI -- he's ready
for another round of kernel building. Don't you think that having to
"sudo cp vmlinuz /boot" isn't too much a hassle for "David" compared to
the benefits for "Manolo"?

It's Friday after all, so don't automatically assume that you're the
target audience ;-).

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759