Defining the target audience (Was Re: low-hanging fruit)

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Aug 17 19:42:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 03:13:57PM -0400, Soeren Sandmann Pedersen wrote:
 > Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> writes:
 > > The problem I see with defining _a_ target audience is that it by
 > > nature, precludes other audiences.  We have to have at least some
 > > part of the 'catch all audiences' thing going on, or we lose a segment
 > > of our userbase to other distros which cater to their needs.
 >
 > Fedora already excludes people, for example Gentoo users. They want to
 > compile everything with CFLAGS tailored to their system, and Fedora is
 > not helpful to them at all.
 > If you agree that excluding Gentoo users is the right decision, then
 > the question is not "do we exclude people?", but "who do we exclude?"

There's a difference between excluding people who are already onboard
with Fedora, and those who aren't.  Gentoo users would fall into the
latter.

"Hey this used to work, now it doesn't" is what leads people to abandon
distros and go looking for one that does what they came to expect.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk