Defining the target audience (Was Re: low-hanging fruit)

Steven Garrity stevelist at silverorange.com
Fri Aug 17 20:01:35 UTC 2007

When discussing the idea of a target audience, I find Firefox to be a
valuable example.

What is the target audience of Firefox? Originally (I assume), the early
Firefox developers were just sick of the old Mozilla browser and wanted
something "better." What they ended up with turned out to be better for
experienced web-developers, and first-time web users.

Sometimes, better is just better. Someone said in the IRC meeting the
other day (paraphrasing) that there is enough that obviously needs
improvement before we start prioritizing for different audiences.

If you're a kernel developer, a graphic designer, or a hotmail-user with
their first Dell, you still want your computer to boot up quickly, for
your iPod to work, and for things to look and feel solid and polished.

Cheers,
Steven Garrity