low-hanging fruit

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 18:55:29 UTC 2007

On 8/20/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:28:20 -0400
> "Colin Walters" <walters at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Right; this is the real solution to the stolen-laptop problem and I'm
> > all for it!
>
> Except if your session was logged in

Right, we should design for this because we're moving towards having an
always logged in session:
http://blogs.gnome.org/halfline/2007/07/25/screensaver-extension/
Which just makes sense because why would you ever log out?  Generally you
either suspend or switch users.

when it got stolen (seen those
> commercials about the pretty girl in the coffee shop?  (: ).  This is
> why I want some sort of session timeout (other than the screensaver) on
> how long these things sit unlocked for you to access them.

Hm.  So we have right now three "I'm leaving the computer" buttons.  One
called "Suspend", one called "Hibernate", and one called "Lock Screen".
Differentiating between the first two is an unrelated bug, so that leaves us
with Suspend and Lock screen.  Why not just suspend (and save lots of
power), and on un-suspend, you display the password prompt?

Then you can change things so that if the system doesn't get a password
response from unsuspend within say 2-3 minutes it shuts down, leaving all
the /home or / or whatever encrypted with nothing running.