low-hanging fruit

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 19:02:14 UTC 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:55:29 -0400
"Colin Walters" <walters at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hm.  So we have right now three "I'm leaving the computer" buttons.
> One called "Suspend", one called "Hibernate", and one called "Lock
> Screen". Differentiating between the first two is an unrelated bug,
> so that leaves us with Suspend and Lock screen.  Why not just suspend
> (and save lots of power), and on un-suspend, you display the password
> prompt?
>
> Then you can change things so that if the system doesn't get a
> password response from unsuspend within say 2-3 minutes it shuts
> down, leaving all the /home or / or whatever encrypted with nothing
> running.

That might be doable for the coming back from suspend case.

I don't suspend when walking away because I don't want my wireless to
drop, I don't want to have to re-login to say t-mobile hot-spot, I
don't want to dance my little dance with apps thinking "Oh!  NM is
reconnected, I can re-establish all my connections again" when the vpn
isn't ready yet, or t-mobile hasn't let me to the real Internet yet so
I have to fix all the 'connection lost' or wait for stupid ass timeouts
to return.

Relying on a lock screen is fine, but we still make that optional.  We
should timeout the keyrings no matter what after a period of
inactivity.  If they're re-unlocked via a locked screen unlock great,
otherwise throw up a "Session timeout" passphrase box before allowing
anything else to happen.

(maybe I'm too far off in the weeds...)

--
Jesse Keating