low-hanging fruit

Rui Tiago Cação Matos tiagomatos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 10:24:53 UTC 2007

Hi, I usually lurk here. I think this Desktop spin is a very fine idea.
Finally people are thinking about the final user experience.

On Ter, 2007-08-21 at 19:23 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> >From a technical point it doesn't solve the problem in a different way
> at all. I've been helping Richard with scripts to backend packagekit
> with yum and the scripts are extremely simple. To be clear - some of the
> user experience items are really just papering over the security
> questions and hoping no one notices that right now PackageKit is the
> equivalent of:
>
>  yum -y do_whatever_just_be_quiet_about_it.

As far as I understood from Richard's blog your comparison here is very
superficial. For instance, if you do that on an xterm and then for some
reason your X crashes, or you log out because you forgot about it, yum
will crash too, and leave you RPM db hosed. PackageKit is supposed to
continue working even without anyone logged in. It allows a "fire and
forget" asynchronous action. Besides, it should allow integration with
the preferred applications metric from the online-desktop so people can
have a simple way to choose a new app to install without having to
understand all the package names etc. I don't think any of the standard
yum tools allows this.

More generally, I think that all these new *Kit daemons as well as HAL,
NM, and D-Bus, that enables them all, are urgently needed for a much
more organic and dynamic desktop experience which has humans controlling
their computer and not the other way around. Kudos to everyone working
on them!

Rui