low-hanging fruit

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 22 16:34:35 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 12:24 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On 8/22/07, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm a little bothered that you're picking and choosing which questions
> > you think users can answer. I think users can intelligibly understand
> > statements about gpg keys. The difference here is that I'm assuming that
> > users are smarter and/or capable of using google to understand what's
> > going on.
>
> I'm perfectly willing to concede that user are *able* to understand
> these messages if they take the time. They probably have a college
> degree, assemble furniture with cryptic instructions translated from
> Japanese, and file their taxes every April. But what I don't concede
> is that they *want to* understand these messages or *will bother* to
> understand these messages.
>
> I see no value training up our users to understand how to import GPG
> keys into RPM. Our users should be spending their brain cells
> designing bridges and curing cancer. (And maybe buying shoes on Ebay
> too). Our job is to make package installation not consume those brain
> cells.
>
> This has all strayed off pretty far into theory-land. Maybe you can
> give a concrete example of a concrete case (starting with why the user
> is in the GUI tool to begin with) of when a user needs to be asked a
> yum-specific question when interacting with a GUI tool?

- import a gpg key from a repo so they can install a package.
- verify that the set of things they are asking to
install/remove/obsolete is what they _really_ want to do.
- let them know they need to reboot/logout/restart-some-program in order
to have these changes take effect.

We've got to get some information to them b/c the internet isn't
error-free. :)

-sv