PackageKit Misconceptions

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 18:32:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:17:06 -0400
"Colin Walters" <walters at redhat.com> wrote:

> No one has really solved the problem of trojan software.  Dialogs are
> definitely not a solution.  Now, we can have a dialog for it and I
> wouldn't argue against it - but we shouldn't delude ourselves into
> thinking that having people enter a password is going to stop them
> from getting their MP3s to play.

It's not about stopping them from getting mp3s, but whatever.

"We want better dialogs that aren't technobabble".  I agree
wholeheartedly.

"We want to allow for (and default to) some level of auth before
allowing installing software/writing to outside your home dir".  Again
in agreement.

Your browser question is only so so.  Sure you can install stuff to
your home dir, but you can't compromise other users on the system.

--
Jesse Keating