low-hanging fruit

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Aug 22 21:02:44 UTC 2007

Le mercredi 22 août 2007 à 11:47 -0400, Colin Walters a écrit :
> On 8/22/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
>          If something popped up to
>         install software
>
> What would pop up to install new software?

Helpful apps that want to help you install every pluggin known
(including plugins like flash that require a complete 32bit stack on a
64bit system to run)

> And why would your friend click it?

Because users have a railroad approach to popups (just click yes)

> Wouldn't he or she ask you about it?

Friends don't ask about every popup they click through when they get
guest access (or they don't stay friends long)

> Also remember - you don't need root or a password to install software
> to your computer.  You just download something that overwrites your
> ~/.bashrc, puts itself in ~/.config/autostart, or one of many other
> methods.  Like firefox extensions.

Firefox extensions are a security plague and a great example why
password-less install is bad in a guest context. I hope with FF3 we can
start packaging the useful subset everyone uses as rpms and de-emphasise
the FF autodowload

--
Nicolas Mailhot