Round 3 Default Artwork Decision

Ray Strode rstrode at redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 16:49:41 UTC 2007

Hi,
On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 09:36 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> dragoran wrote:
> >
> > On 8/22/07, *Nicolas Mailhot* <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
> >
> >     Please check with the desktop group, I think at least some of those
> >     won't be needed by the new F8 boot process
> >

> > boot process wont change in f8
>
> This seems correct: "Work on this has not yet begun" [1] and feature
> freeze is a few days away
>

> [1] - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBetterStartup
Just to give a status update...

It's not that work hasn't begun, a lot of graphical boot up code has
been written already.

See http://blogs.gnome.org/halfline/2007/06/09/graphical-boot-up/ and
the git repo here:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~halfline/plymouth

work has been shelved until kernel mode setting support gets better.

When things pick back up again, though, we'd like to try to get a better
big picture of what's needed in the entire boot process
(investigate more than just "graphical bootup", but also boot speed,
firstboot, etc, too).

Anyway, none of it is really Fedora 8 material.

--Ray