More low hanging fruit.

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 01:19:26 UTC 2007

On 8/24/07, Rui Tiago Cação Matos <tiagomatos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sex, 2007-08-24 at 20:29 -0400, Jon Nettleton wrote:
> > If you don't want to see this message why don't you disable eth0 from
> > coming up on boot?  This problem really has nothing to do with rhgb.
> >
> > Instead of complaining why not suggest what you would like to see.
>
> Personally I'd prefer to not have time to see nothing. Boot should be as
> fast as possible:
>
> Power On -> BIOS output -> Nice image/color/gradient/whatever -> GDM
>                 ^                           ^
>         Inevitable on x86   Realistically shouldn't take more than 20s.
>
> The point is, for a desktop spin there is nothing to show until GDM.
> Network management should be done by NM and pretty much everything else
> should be started on demand by D-Bus.
>
> *Reality check*: I know this won't happen for F8 but let's try for
> F9 :-)

Well with a vesa framebuffer I have.

Power On -> BIOS output -> TUX vesa fb and 3 lines of text -> rhgb
starts and runs -> GDM

The whole process takes 40 seconds with BIOS and hitting enter at the
grub screen.

Your reality check is really spoiled by the fact that bios -> nash ->
udev is 25 seconds.  That is with high IO also.  The work I have done
has broken start_udev into two parts that the first creating static
devices that Xorg needs to detect basic devices.  Then the automatic
detection of devices comes later.  start_udev is about 5.5 secs by
itself, when I break it up it  is about 1.3 seconds and 4.5 seconds.
The overhead of the second detection is hidden by the fact the gui is
running instead of just sitting there.

We will keep plugging away.  If you truly want 20 seconds you should
get on the ACPI mailing list and get suspend and hibernate working on
your machine.

Jon