low-hanging fruit

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Sun Aug 26 22:01:20 UTC 2007

Gian Paolo Mureddu escribió:
> Indeed I was. I was making these suggestions for the spin, not for
> regular users.

Sorry for the double post and reply to myself..

Detailed explanation: Make a change in the way the "Desktop" spin is
handled and possibly take some of the "special tuning" to get these
things going and  possibly make them into:

a) A complementary initscript which would be stand-alone and which would
then, either:
     *Zero the mount count on ext2/3/4 filesystems upon first boot,
leaving evidence in /etc/ that the change has been made, so on each
reboot the presence   of this file is checked and boot as usual (I find
this to be somewhat convoluted, but some might think it is a good idea,
and since we're brainstorming I    post it), or
    *alternatively the idea would be the same, but instead of zeroing
the mount count (with the use of tune2fs, parsing the information from
fstab), have the script change fstab itself....

Or

b) Have the script as part of the Anaconda routine for the installation
process and run this "post-install" script and perform either of the
above mentioned "workarounds".

I still believe that the way to go would be to have a subroutine in Disk
Druid, make a *selectable* option so that users can have an option
whether they want their drives checked every 'x' number of mounts or
not, and the amount; made available only for the custom partition
layout  (most likely seen only by "power users") and default to running
`tune2fs -C 0` in default behavior, after partition formatting, and
showing only a message like "Preparing the hard disk partitions for
installation" or some such, also dump the corresponding actions to the
"log" console, and possibly prior the actions take effect show a summary
window (just like the "The following partitions have been selected to be
formatted" window, in fact in the same window) showing the mount times
each partition will be allowed to be mounted prior being forced checked
or some such... Again this is aimed primarily for experienced users and
most likely will be only used in special applications, like servers or
production workstations and such.

Once more, I'm thinking of this as a long-term solution for mainline
Fedora and not necessarily for a "Desktop" spin, but we could at least
give it a try in the Desktop spin, especially with the sixth fstab field.