make ~/.face world-readable (low-hanging-fruit) (Was Re: livecd hacking)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 17:41:11 UTC 2007

Jonathan Blandford (jrb at redhat.com) said:
> I think what David is getting at is that we would like to have only one
> install experience for the user.  Right now, we have two install
> experiences -- the first when you run anaconda, the second when you hit
> firstboot.  In the managed desktop case (enterprise workstations) the
> install is split between the admin who does the install on the machine
> and the enduser does the 'install' by setting up accounts/timezones.
> David is proposing to merge those for the desktop spin.
>
> It's a bit aspirational, and there's a lot that should be cleaned up in
> firstboot first.  But I think it's a good experience, too.

What confuses me is that I'm not sure firstboot makes sense for any
sort of 'managed' desktop - surely things like authentication, timezone,
and users (on the network) have already been set up by that point? Firstboot
seems more targeted for the 'home user' (ugh) who is getting a preinstalled
box from some OEM.

What may make sense (and also be completely unimplementable) is to structure
things so that steps can be moved between firstboot and anaconda at will
based on some sort of configuration.

Bill