metacity compositor in rawhide

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 17:46:56 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 18:15 +0100, Jon Nettleton wrote:

> That is great to hear.  I have been holding off submitting my patches
> upstream until this happened.  Here is the list if anyone wants to give
> input.  Some of them are very similar to what xfwm4 already has.
>
> 1)  User configurable transparencies for windows when moved, and also
> drop down menus.
> 2)  Drag and drop "windows" also become translucent.  It was brought up
> on IRC that cursors are already ARGB, so can theoretically be
> transparent causing a problem.  I think this is a setting that should be
> desktop-wide, so I prefer having it in the window manager.  I am open
> for discussion on this.  I just like being able to grab a bunch of text
> or large icon and actually see where I am dropping it.
> 3)  Changes to the metacity capplet that also includes a checkbox to
> turn on compositing.
> 4)  Unredirected fullscreen overlays.  I know this should be handled
> with the new Xorg stuff.  I haven't followed up how far along the new
> memory management code is.
>
> I understand this should also be brought up with the metacity team, and
> it will be.  I am more interested in what the fedora desktop team thinks
> should be included in a base compositing desktop.  I would love to be
> able to ship metacity with composite in F9, with the ability to turn on
> 3d compositing for more advanced effects.

My take on this is that compositing in metacity should be just like
window management in metacity: working as smoothly and unintrusively as
possible. After a few minutes of using it, you should not notice it
anymore. All of the things you have mentioned sound perfectly compatible
with that goal...

Matthias