metacity compositor in rawhide

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 18:51:00 UTC 2007

Hi,

Ray Strode wrote:
>> For turning on compositing, perhaps that should be in the "desktop
>> effects" dialog that Fedora has now?
> Why would we ever want the user to be in an environment where
> compositing isn't available?  I mean, why do we want an off button?
> If COMPOSITE is found, I think metacity should leverage it (at least
> do automatic compositing at a minimum).
>
> Even for remote X it probably makes sense to have
> compositing on I think (less redraws).

My assumption here is that we don't have a way to automatically know if
compositing works and is fast enough. I definitely agree that when we do
have that info, which we should, it would be unacceptable to have a
config option.

Basically I think the config option means "test out beta window manager
and X server" - at the point that we think the stuff really works and is
not just a beta, the config option is silly.

There might still be options for whether to have drop shadows,
transparency, etc., I don't know, but we wouldn't have an option for
whether to use the COMPOSITE extension.

Havoc