How to remove some mounted partition icons?

Rui Tiago Matos tiagomatos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 10:39:39 UTC 2007

On 31/12/2007, David Zeuthen <davidz at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe I wasn't clear, but what I was trying to say in my earlier mail
> that the issue at hand isn't really a big deal; if you think about it
> it's a quite absurd discussion isn't it? We're talking about people who
> wants to hide mounted partitions from the desktop.

Some people, like me, would just expect that said partitions after
being explicitly unmounted didn't get automounted next time they
login. I have no issue with them being listed on computer:// I just
would like policykit to forget the authorization I gave the first time
that dialog came up if I explicitly unmount.

> I'd like to think that if you have a dedicated partition that you
> actually go through the trouble of mounting at a non-standard mount
> point, then it's because you have data on it that you want to access. If
> you want to access the data, then you should get an icon on the desktop.

Agreed.

> Now, you (or rather, the people with 8 linux distros on their system)
> can argue that you didn't mount the partition yourself; that damn GNOME
> did that for you automatically. So maybe the answer is that we need more
> fine grained control of what gets automounted and what doesn't [1].
> Maybe it means adding an option so this dialog
>
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/pk-gnome-mount.png
>
> looks like this
>
>  [ ] Remember authorization
>   [ ] For this session only
>   [ ] For this volume only

I think the first option is enough if the unmount worked as I
described above. And the last one, I actually would expect it to be
always checked, i.e. I'd assume that dialog is already tied to a
single volume. But that seems to be a current policykit shortcoming as
you explain later.

> Yay, more options. But fear not. The desktop live cd for F9 and onwards
> will come configured to never show the users such stupid annoying
> dialogs (note: only I may call them annoying and stupid because I wrote
> them :-) hehe) because we'll grant the user this authorization by
> default (we can make assumptions about how the desktop live cd is used
> since it's, uhm, targeted for desktops).
>
> And all the people with 8 linux distros on their system can then just
> use polkit-gnome-authorization or whatever to tweak the authorizations
> such that the file systems they want hidden aren't mounted.

Several laptops come with one or more "system partitions". Mine
currently shows up in my desktop because I gave that authorization.
I'd like to remove it from the desktop. This isn't a geeky use case I
think.

Rui