How to remove some mounted partition icons?

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Mon Dec 31 04:14:46 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 11:03 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> I don't have a problem with having my storage partition on my desktop
> but I also have also 4 other linux distos on my laptop and I see all
> of their system partitions on my desktop!
>
> I know that there is a way to disable ALL partition shortcuts but then
> I wouldn't see my usb drives on desktop when I plug in usb flash
> drives and I don't want that.
>
> So how do I remove only the shortcuts I don't want from my desktop?

If this is the biggest problem we have in Fedora, I think we're doing
pretty good. Anyway, I there are two solutions

 1. Add yet another gconf key to /apps/nautilus/desktop

 2. Tell such users to use comment=hidden in /etc/fstab entries for
    such drives and make gvfs honor this so a mount point is hidden
    if it matches such an /etc/fstab entry.

Since this affects only the kind of people who have > 1 Linux distro
installed (for dual- or tripple-booting with Windows and Mac OS X you
actually want this. IMO ditto for dual booting with other Linux
installations but apparently others don't think so), I think we should
go for 2. Alex?

     David