How to remove some mounted partition icons?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 06:33:33 UTC 2007

On Dec 30, 2007 9:08 PM, David Zeuthen <davidz at redhat.com> wrote:
> Well, you could have tried this yourself instead of tricking me into
> trying it out to found out. FWIW, the answer is yes

I was actually trying to trick Valent into doing it.

> That would be a layering violation (a lower layer mentioning how a
> higher layer works) to mention this in /etc/fstab. And it probably
> wouldn't apply to KDE or whatever desktop someone is using.

Making this a GNOME specific thing via a comment option was sort of
the concern motivating the multiple comment option question above.  If
this is going to start out as a GNOME specific implementation, then we
run risk of having different desktops requiring different comment
strings as hide hints...worst case scenario.  Would this be fodder for
standardization through a freedekstop discussion? On the other handing
building the hiding parsing into hal somehow gives us desktop agnostic
functionality. But your the expert there, so I'm assuming you've got a
good reason to think the doing this at a higher level makes more
sense.

We'll need to make some special effort in our distributions release
notes to communicate that the comment=hide syntax is actually heeded
specifically in GNOME and ignored in other desktops, if we include
this and want people to make use of it appropriately.

-jef