PulseAudio

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Feb 27 17:23:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 17:06 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> I think this is still the best course of action for F7, given some
> work to 1) make PulseAudio work (as it doesn't right now for the
> above), 2) some integration with the GNOME sound properties so it
> spits out the sound events on the right device.

This needs to work with fast-user-switching and that is *hard* given
that PA hogs the device (or at least used to) and most ALSA playback
devices can only have a single opener (no mixing).

Also, keep in mind that we're going to enable accessible login
(including screen readers) for gdm - I wonder if we need pulse audio
running there and how it works with the alsa-pulse plug-in - will
pulse-audio be activated on demand? Or will the presence of alsa-pulse
just break accessible login because there's no PA instance running?

Thanks for looking into this - PA rocks and will make our distro so much
better. But it needs to work with f-u-s or we need to decide to do pull
either PA or f-u-s. Simple as that.

      David