PulseAudio

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Feb 27 18:04:21 UTC 2007

On 2/27/07, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 17:06 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > I think this is still the best course of action for F7, given some
> > work to 1) make PulseAudio work (as it doesn't right now for the
> > above), 2) some integration with the GNOME sound properties so it
> > spits out the sound events on the right device.
>
> This needs to work with fast-user-switching and that is *hard* given
> that PA hogs the device (or at least used to) and most ALSA playback
> devices can only have a single opener (no mixing).

Actually, it's easy.  Set up a system Pulse and everyone can use sound
and emulation.  What needs to happen next is to implement session
partitioning in Pulse, the emulation helpers and emulation daemons.

Pulse should always be running (even if it occasionally releases
devices to save battery).

Monty