Desktop problems with 2.6.20

Ramagudi Naziir naziirr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 10:56:58 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have been running 2.6.20-rc5 successfully with FC6.

Yesterday I have git pulled the latest 2.6.20.

I have used make oldconfig and chose all default answers.

I have built and run the new kernel successfully.

The problems is that now the Desktop don't show up.

I see the fedora login screen,but after I login I can only see the mouse
icon and two white stripes (one in the upper screen boundary and the second
in the lower). besides that the screen is totally black. I can move the mouse.
When I press Alt-F2 I can see the "run command" menu, but i cannot
type anything into it. pressing the 'x' button does close it. oh, and i can
see the popup window of the "security updates waiting", but it is not in the
regular place (upper right corner) - it is in the upper left corner.

Can anyone help please ?

There are no significant error messages in /var/log/message or
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.

What can I do please ?

Thank You
naziir.