Polishing stuff - gnome-filesystem package

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Feb 19 18:33:02 UTC 2007

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 17:41 +0100, dragoran wrote:
>> Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
>>> How could windows users be used to it? Windows translates it.
>>> Unless of course you run an english Windows, but nobody is forcing you
>>> to use any locale but english in that case.
>>>

>> I am using a german windows on one of my boxes and it uses "Desktop"
>> (maybe other windows versions are translated; I only used english and
>> german where it is Desktop)
>> German:
>> Dokumente und Einstellungen/<user>/Desktop
>
> Hmmm, in swedish it is translated.

And in Finnish.

> A common problem with the translated-names-on-disk approach is that some
> applications don't use the correct win32 api to locate these
> directories, but instead just use the english names.  Maybe this is what
> happened to you, or maybe its different in different locales.

That, and some specific things are simply better left untranslated: In
Windows, "Administrator" the user account name has been translated to
"Järjestelmäylläpitäjä" (or something resembling that). Try typing that in
a hurry, and with a little bit of luck with a non-finnish keyboard layout
:)

 	- Panu -