pruning the liveCD

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Feb 20 23:12:06 UTC 2007

> Along with looking at things to add, we probably want to look
> at things to remove. So, some suggestions:
>
> - emacs (!)

Yea, sorry about that...

> - one of gimp/inkscape?

Or neither? Space permitting...

> Unfortunately, the best way to clear out space that I can see
> is switch to latin, indic, and cjk liveCDs. Which... yuk.

Yes, but we're most probably going to do this sooner or later anyway so
might as well do it now? The savings are substantial IIRC and as a data
point Mandriva is doing this already with Mandriva One.

The hard part is deciding what regions to target; you have to take into
account

 - translations
 - input methods
 - fonts (though I'm firmly in the camp that even a US english install
          needs to have good enough font coverage to such that e.g.
          http://www.yahoo.co.jp/index.html isn't a Pango-block fest)
 - other things I can't remember right now

and do the cut such that the free space is split evenly. It's just a
really hard problem.

     David