pruning the liveCD

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Feb 21 04:17:33 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 11:07:08PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> As the guy who used to do the Publishers Edition[1]... this is
> a losing game. We're always going to get more languages. Code
> tends to always get bigger. We're always going to get *more*
> functionality we'd like to include, not less. So, the usefulness
> of the LiveCD is actually going to *decrease* over time.

One consideration is where in time that decreasing future line intersects
with the rising prevalence of DVD drives and the increasing capacity of
cheap USB media.

> Considering it's a large part of our F7 (and presumably future)
> plans, that worries me.

Hence, moving away from the one-size-fits-all LiveCD and towards "it's easy
to spin a LiveCD containing whatever you want" -- as easy as selecting
packages in pirut and hitting "burn". Then, the default live CD could
concentrate on one basic use scenario like browsing the web.