PulseAudio

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue Feb 27 18:24:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 13:04 -0500, xiphmont at xiph.org wrote:
> On 2/27/07, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 17:06 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > I think this is still the best course of action for F7, given some
> > > work to 1) make PulseAudio work (as it doesn't right now for the
> > > above), 2) some integration with the GNOME sound properties so it
> > > spits out the sound events on the right device.
> >
> > This needs to work with fast-user-switching and that is *hard* given
> > that PA hogs the device (or at least used to) and most ALSA playback
> > devices can only have a single opener (no mixing).
>
> Actually, it's easy.  Set up a system Pulse and everyone can use sound
> and emulation.  What needs to happen next is to implement session
> partitioning in Pulse, the emulation helpers and emulation daemons.
>
> Pulse should always be running (even if it occasionally releases
> devices to save battery).

I'll wait for your mail about the pros and cons before getting further
on this. We'd need to rethink the gnome-sound-properties if PA was to be
used as a system daemon, as we wouldn't be able to easily switch
outputs.

What worries me as well is the amount of work necessary to get speaker
systems with more than 2 speakers (ie. stereo) working, and if it even
would with PA.

I'll hold on for more details, and you can fill in the blanks for me
then :)

Cheers