PulseAudio

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Tue Feb 27 18:54:31 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 13:44 -0500, xiphmont at xiph.org wrote:
> On 2/27/07, xiphmont at xiph.org <xiphmont at xiph.org> wrote:
>
> > > I think what you want is some system-wide private PA mixer service that
> > > only per-session PA instances can connect to over a private protocol.
> >
> > That is actually one possibility up for consideration, but I think
> > needlessly complicated.
>
> Rather, I should say the idea up for consideration is a thin
> authenticator that is the only trusted connection mechanism for a
> system pulse.

Yea, that's sort of what I meant. The system-wide bit would just pass a
fd over a socket to the per-session pulse.

> That still doesn't directly help out the emulation case
> though.

So, why can't the emulation bits pass the fd from the open(2)'er
of /dev/dsp to the right PA instance? These bits could live in the
system-wide bit...

> We can't ship broken stuff, and regressing sound counts as
> broken.

There's no regressions if we decide not to use PA by default; things
will still just suck as bad as they did for FC6, FC5, FC4 and FC3.

     David