PulseAudio

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Tue Feb 27 19:09:23 UTC 2007

> On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 13:21 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> > What is stopping us is that esound is not used by default and haven't
> > for a long time. I'm all for PA but we cannot turn it on by default
> > until it works with f-u-s. Well, we can, but then f-u-s is useless and I
> > don't think we want to ship useless products...
>
> There's no need to paint back-and-white here. Fast user switching
> remains useful even if sound does not work with it. It would certainly
> be nicer if it all just worked, but the fact that it doesn't is no
> reason to exaggerate like that.

Well, what pisses me off is the fact that "per-session daemon is hard,
let's just do a system-wide daemon" without realizing all the
implications of this (settings, security).

I'm perfectly fine with having PA as a per-session daemon and sound on
f-u-s not working if the following is on the PA roadmap

 - PA giving up sound devices on silence
 - PA being able to give up sound devices on session switching
 - emulation daemon can forward fd to per-session PA daemon

or

 - some kind of ultra-light system-wide daemon for arbitrating
   access to sound hardware for per-session PA instances

because then we can clean this up for F8 and/or an F7 update. But
deciding on an architecture (system-wide PA) that I consider broken by
design is just the wrong thing.

Monty, what do you think?

     David