PulseAudio

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Tue Feb 27 19:49:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 14:41 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Actually these daemons have lots of features (for example nm-applet has
> WPA2, VPN, secure access to user secrets) and is by far more advanced
> that what we had before.
>
> We simply just need to run them when no user is logged in.

And, for the record, the reason this is super desirable is that to
configure system-wide policy (e.g. when no one is logged in), we can
re-use exactly the same configuration applets, e.g. for the g-p-m
preference dialog you'd have a button

 [ Set these settings as system wide ]

that would (possibly after auth) copy these settings to the system-wide
preference area. For a single-user laptop probably this would be done by
default. All this could (possibly) be useful on servers too; e.g. you
could have the policy for g-v-m when no-one is logged in to automount
media and share it on the local network via Avahi. Use case would be
some system that have a CD with patches he needs 100 different servers
to access; just pop in the disc and it's available on the network.

But now I'm drifting off-topic....

      David