PulseAudio

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Tue Feb 27 22:33:31 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 16:57 -0500, xiphmont at xiph.org wrote:

> > > Yup.
> >
> > Well actually, the answer here is: it depends. For things like
> > multi-seat you probably assign one sound card soundA to seat1 and
> > another sound card soundB to seat2. So if user is logged in twice at
> > seat1 he still don't have access to soundB.
>
> I know you didn't *say* LTSP....

Some estimates out there put GNOME on LTSP as having double-digits
market shares of all GNOME deployments. IIRC about 37%. I don't have any
links to back this up right now though. It's kinda funny, you're very
defensive about keeping compat etc, but seem to ignore "pet projects"
like f-u-s, multi-seat and LTSP... anyway...

> But seriously, how is that currently done with, say, two webcams?

ConsoleKit knows about Sessions and Seats. HAL will assign ACL's based
on this. It needs a bit more work (definition of seats and what devices
belongs to what seats etc.) so not going to happen for F7. There's also
the X.org and Linux VT subsystem to keep in mind. But it's not really
hard.

FWIW, it came up last week on GNOME's desktop-devel-list

 http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2007-February/msg00290.html
 http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2007-February/msg00291.html

      David