PulseAudio

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Feb 28 06:28:30 UTC 2007

Le mardi 27 février 2007 à 14:41 -0500, David Zeuthen a écrit :
> On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 20:33 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Le mardi 27 février 2007 à 13:20 -0500, David Zeuthen a écrit :
> >
> > > So it's like this. For *modern* Linux desktop we've been moving
> > > functionality from system-wide daemons into per-session daemons *simply*
> > > because system-wide daemons have a number of problems.
> >
> > Per-session daemons may be nice for stuff that does not require
> > exclusive access, to manage hardware they're a disaster. I don't want to
> > log in at midnight so my GUI recording software is authorised to access
> > the tuner card, wireless link should not go down at user logout, power
> > management should happen even on a mostly headless system, etc
>
> I already answered your question re device permissions here
>
>  https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2007-February/msg00713.html

Oh, seems this one was eaten by a spam filter

It's a bit more complex than that, a tuner won't record more than one
channel at a time, so you need something between the hardware and the
GUI frontends to warn some other user already booked a timespan. You
know, like cups managing one system access to its printers (shock!
system-wide-daemon for desktop use)

Also with DVI and friends the video part may depend on a dedicated card
but the audio just use one audio input of the motherboard/audio card.

I suspect if ever the "drop hardware access to non-active sessions"
stuff is implemented people will find lots of other examples where
hardware access lifetime and gui session lifetime do not map (even for
desktop-related tasks). Linux desktop needs are far bigger than sunray
needs.

And even without taking hardware into account, mail processing (spam
filtering, etc) should happen in the background without needing to keep
a GUI session with a MUA running. People hate the "log in the morning,
watch evo struggle with mail received in the night" syndrome. Home/SOHO
desktop should be like a VCR : you schedule evenemential/periodic tasks,
they just happen even when you're doing non-computer stuff, and the
results are ready when you log in. You don't ever switch off the
computer it goes in low-power modes as needed without manual
intervention.

The only system for which it's not true is on-battery roaming laptop,
which is not the general case (the laptops sales may have skyrocketed,
but the bulk of home users don't roam and let their laptop always-on on
the computer table of the house)

--
Nicolas Mailhot