PulseAudio

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Feb 28 19:03:44 UTC 2007

On 2/28/07, Alexander Boström <abo at kth.se> wrote:
> ons 2007-02-28 klockan 13:55 -0500 skrev xiphmont at xiph.org:
>
> > This viloates the tenent of 'fast user switching does not lose state'.
> >  Switching to the other login should not cause, eg, Audacity which is
> > holding an hour of unsaved editing work to crash or get killed.
>
> It does, yes.
>
> Then how about just sending a signal through D-Bus and hoping it isn't
> ignored? We'll be ridiculed for having a cooperatively multisessioning
> desktop though. :)

Well, the idea is that the Pulse (be it session or system) doesn't die
or get killed and applications running on the desktop are generally
unaware anything changed w.r.t sound-- the Pulse mutes their streams,
sample and playback get zeroed.  The Pulse server, of course, will be
'cooperating', but trusted system software is allowed to be
cooperative without being mocked.

Monty